Patient Resources

Active Duty Service Member Guide to Accessing Mental Health Care in the National Capital Region

Urgent Assistance Options

Contact the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline:
  • Call: 988, then Press 1
  • Or Chat Online:
  • Or Text: 838255
Go to the nearest Emergency Department 

Medical Mental Health Care

Medical Mental Health (MH) primarily treats behavioral disorders that cause significant impairment in interpersonal or occupational functioning.

Where to start

  • Seek emergency care if you have suicidal thoughts or plans. Call 911 or go to the nearest ER.
  • For non-emergency support, self-refer or get a referral from your PCM, PHA, or other provider.
  • Schedule an appointment by calling the IRMAC (855-227-6331) or MTF appointment line, or in person at an MTF.

No Appointment Available within 28 days

  • Option A: For non-emergency care, schedule an appointment more than 28 days in the future.
  • Option B: Seek care at another MTF if availability permits.
  • Option C: Seek TRICARE network private sector care mental health

While you wait...

  • Use support systems such as leaders, family and friends. Seek chaplain support and other non-medical counseling, including the resources in this guide.

Referrals to the TRICARE Network

  1. A referral to the TRICARE network private sector must first be approved by your MTF. Once approved, your MTF will send your referral to the TRICARE East Region contractor (Humana Military). Humana Military will approve your referral within 3 business days after receiving your referral.
  2. You may check on the status of your referral on the Humana Military website ( or by calling 800-444-5445.
  3. Once your referral has been approved by Humana Military, you may schedule an appointment with a TRICARE network private sector provider.
  4. If the provider you are referred to does not meet your needs, call Humana Military or search the Humana online provider directory to find an alternative provider.

NOTE: Referrals are required for active duty service members to access the TRICARE network private sector for specialty care.

Non-Medical Counseling

Non-medical counseling provides confidential help for service members suffering from less complex mental health conditions. Non-medical counseling is an effective approach to relieve stress from relationship, family, money, and other life changes.

Military One Source: Call 800-342-9467 (for non-medical counseling) or got online to

Military/Veterans Crisis Line: All service members, including members of the National Guard, Reservists, Veterans and their loved ones can call, text or chat. You do not have to be enrolled in VA benefits or a health care plan to connect. Remember: Support doesn’t end with your conversation! Responders will connect you with resources that can help when you’re in distress.

Call 988, Options 1, text 838255, or online at

Military and Family Life Counseling (MFLC): Supports service members and their families with non-medical counseling worldwide. Talk to a counselor at 800-342-9647.

DOD Safe Helpline: Provides confidential and anonymous crisis support specially designed for members of the Department of Defense community affected by sexual assault.

Call 877-995-5247; chat online at or join the anonymous support group at Visit for additional information.

Additional Resources

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: A branch of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services that helps connect individuals to substance use treatment.

StrongBonds: Provides retreats for individual service members, families, and couples. Select a retreat location within 450 miles of your Home of Record. Retreats require approval from the Service Members' COC.

*Doc on Demand: Telemedicine available 24/7 with Doctor on Demand. Offers urgent care and behavioral health, psychology and psychiatry services.

Learn more at

Psychological Health Resource Center: Trained mental health consultants provide 24/7 support and information to help beneficiaries access mental health care and local community support.

Call 866-966-1020 or

National Resource Directory: Comprehensive directory of services for military members, veterans, and their families.

*Telemynd: Access behavioral health providers with Telemynd. Telemyd offers behavioral health services, psychology and psychiatry, with some exclusions.

Find out more about Telemynd at

inTransition Program: Provides free, confidential coaching and assistance for people who need access to mental health care when relocating, returning from deployment, or transitioning between an active duty and reserve component.

*In order to access these services, your provider must annotate in your referral that virtual behavioral health is an appropriate treatment modality for you.

How do I know if I need help?

  • Changes in mood (mood swings, intense anger, irritability sadness that won’t go away, anxiety/worry that is difficult to manage). Other changes include sleep, daily function, or social habits.
  • Thoughts of harm to self or others.
  • Increased use of, or trouble controlling, use of alcohol or drugs.

Command Directed Evaluations (CDE) Non-Emergent

Steps to coordinate CDE:

  • Supervisors are encouraged to consult with Mental Health (MH) at the MTF when considering CDE.
  • Unit Escort and Service Member (SM) present to Mental Health clinic for assessment.
  • Following appointment, MH Provider generates a DoD Form annotating the clinical disposition and medical readiness.

Mental Health Resources

Veterans Crisis Line


Call: 988 and press 1
Text: 838255


Europe844-702-5495 or DSN 988
Pacific: 844-702-5493 or DSN 988
Asia: 855-422-7719 or DSN 988

Open to all service members and veterans, even if not enrolled in VA benefits or health care. Long distance or overseas charges may apply. Learn More

Military OneSource

Call 1-800-342-9647

InTransition Program

Call 1-800-424-7877
Live Chat

Psychological Health Resource Center | 24/7

Call 1-866-966-1020

Need to Update Your Information in DEERS? Click Here