Ophthalmology is committed to providing the highest quality medical and surgical eye care in order to preserve, improve, or restore vision to our patients. We offer routine eye care for common diseases such as cataract, diabetes, and glaucoma, as well as state-of-the-art diagnostic, operative, and therapeutic procedures for patients requiring subspecialist care.
Clinical and consultative services are provided during normal business hours to other professional services of Fort Belvoir Community Hospital and other regional military treatment facilities. Additionally, Belvoir Hospital Ophthalmology staff serve as faculty of the National Capital Consortium Residency Training Program and supervise Ophthalmology residents as well as Family Medicine residents, USUHS medical students, and Physician Assistant candidates on rotation with the department.
NOTE: Ophthalmology is available to active duty service members only
- Cataract evaluation and surgery, and medical conditions involving the eye
Retina Subspecialty Care
- Retinal detachments, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, and diseases of the retina
Cornea Subspecialty Care
- Corneal diseases, keratoconus, dry eye and conditions involving the surface of the eye
- Ophthalmology now offers cross-linking treatment for progressive keratoconus or corneal ectasia.*
- Patients must email the Cross Linking Request Form completed by their referring optometrist/ophthalmologist to the clinic at: email@example.com.
- Strabismus, ambylopia, and childhood diseases of the eye
Warfighter Refractive Eye Surgery Program (available to active duty service members only)
Urgent Eye Care
- Established patients of Belvoir Hospital Ophthalmology experiencing acute vision changes or eye pain may present themselves to the clinic at 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. for evaluation. We do NOT offer “same day service” or “walk-in clinic” throughout the day.
Patients should report to the Emergency Department or call 911 when experiencing an eye emergency.
*NOTE: Ophthalmology currently does NOT have Glaucoma or Oculoplastic services.