Pulmonology & Respiratory Therapy
The Pulmonology Clinic provides state-of-the-art care through diagnosis and treatment for adult patients with diseases of the respiratory system including the lungs, airways, and pulmonary vasculature. Our physicians are all board certified in pulmonary medicine and critical care medicine.
The Pulmonology Clinic's broad scope of services include evaluations and treatment for all categories of pulmonary disease including asthma, emphysema/Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), interstitial lung disease and pulmonary fibrosis, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and pulmonary vascular disease. Additionally the hospital pulmonologist evaluates pulmonary nodules and lung masses through a broad spectrum of services including CT scans, PET scans, bronchoscopy, and Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS). This allows for diagnosis and staging of lung cancer and diagnosis of cancer that has spread to the chest.
The staff focuses on the principles of Patient- and Family- Centered Care in the evaluation and management of patients with pulmonary disease conditions. Our providers, respiratory therapists, and nursing staff work together to provide patient education on inhaled medication administration and indications, airway clearance techniques for such diseases as bronchiectasis, and management of respiratory conditions such as asthma. The clinic also offers advanced therapies for asthma which are administered in the clinic under supervision.
Testing and procedures available through the Pulmonology Clinic include
- Pulmonary Function Testing: test the lung tissue and airway function
- Bronchoprovocation testing: determines if asthma is present either via methacholine or exercise
- Oxygen testing: to determine if oxygen therapy is needed and the amount of oxygen needed
- ABG: to determine the amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood
- Thoracentesis: the drainage of fluid from around the lung
- Bronchoscopy: endoscopy to evaluate the airways and lung parenchyma
- Larygoscopy: endoscopy to evaluate the vocal cords and surrounding tissue
- EBUS: to evaluate and biopsy enlarged lymph nodes in the chest
Respiratory Therapy — an integral part of the Pulmonology Clinic — works to improve the respiratory health of all military beneficiaries by providing the most comprehensive, diagnostic analysis of ventilator function in patients with diseases of the chest, lung, and respiratory system.
RT provides full respiratory care in both inpatient and outpatient settings, in collaboration with patients, families, and staff. RT serves all eligible beneficiaries to include neonatal, pediatric, and adult populations with inpatient service.
Respiratory Therapy may perform the following testing and procedures
- Pulmonary Function Testing
- Chest Physical Therapy (CPT)
- Arterial Blood Gas (ABG) specimen collection, analysis, and interpretation
- Peek Flow Testing
- Induced sputum collection for infectious evaluation
- Asthma Education
- Nebulizer Treatments
- Oxygen testing and therapy
- Incentive Spirometry
- 24-hour Ventilatory Management
- Emergency Response Team Support
- Bronchoscopy Support